Saturday, May 14, 2016

Emperor's new clothes

This tunnel book is the third kind of gusset: one long strip with pieces holding each page.
So I've made all 3 types I learnt about at context art.

This is from a Golden Book of Hans Christian Andersen's Emperor's New Clothes. The illustrations are by Richard Waltz. Gorgeous colours.
Book measures 12 x 14 cm when closed.
The gusset is 44cm long (so it doesn't exceed the length of the arm). 
Every time I do one of these I learn something.
I imagine the fingers that protrude may over time bend or break off - will see what happens (it's possible that it won't be opened that frequently.

I put the leftover illustrations on the backs of the pages, just because I could and i didn't want to lose them. left the frames white (but I wanted to cover with dress pattern tissue: just didn't want to detract from the illustrations). 

The front "wardrobe" door is less elaborate than I envisioned, but it is an illustration from within the book (of 2 different walls which were almost the same). 
The user holds the beads / threads and lets the book drop to open it. 
these tunnel books are so deceptively simple (and more tricky to conceptualise than anything else).



The words on the front were supposed to be "new" on both sides, but a trick of the order of the beads makes it say "new men". Which isn't so bad. Serendipity works for me.

No comments: