Monday, September 7, 2009

Cornell-inspired box

I love Joseph Cornell's work.
After my second trip to Chicago I made this box from a monopoly money-tray. 

It's covered in a map of Chicago, and contains things I mostly picked up from my Dad's desk after he died.

The plastic seal is from when I was creating works for Coastal. I bought a packet of plastic star fish which also included seals and fish. 
The button WTS 05 is from Walking the Street 2005. Walking the street was a festival in Newtown where artists decorated / put works in the windows of the local retailers. I participated a few times. Once at Mailboxes Etc (where I put pictures of Mailboxes) and once at Buzzz bar (where I did a work of coffee cups inspired by having breakfast at Buzzz). 

The words on the beads are from "trying to leave the ground". From Starlings in Winter a poem by Mary Oliver
The plastic chips and the dots with smiles on them are from a book of mind-developing games from Edward de Bono. The watch was my dad's

The metal letter R, asterisk and question mark I bought when I was in a haberdashery in Chicago in 2008. The golf dlub key ring membership tags were my dads. The little wooden dolly I picked up on one of my walks through the back streets of Newtown. It's from an old kid's puzzle.


No comments: